Italy’s prime minister vows to hunt attackers

1 dead, 4 wounded in Italy supermarket stabbing spree

ROME — At least four people have died and more than 20 others were wounded in a series of brutal knife and bomb attacks across northern Italy on Sunday morning.

Police said five suspects had been put under surveillance after the carnage in a supermarket in a small city in the center of the country and would be arrested. They did not say which city was targeted, but a woman said on the radio that a man had tried to enter her home.

A 32-year-old woman was in critical condition after a car bomb exploded in front of her home in the city of Prato. Her husband and son were also injured.

In Turin, an unknown number of people were killed and six people were wounded when a man wearing a ski mask and armed with a knife, threw explosive devices at a post office and the headquarters of the Italian police.

The man was later shot by police.

Two of those killed and four others wounded in the bomb attack were seriously wounded.

One person was left clinging to life in intensive care.

Police said the man may have been mentally ill.

In Genoa, two people were killed and 11 were wounded when two armed men, who were dressed in tactical outfits, tried to enter a cafe before being shot dead by police inside.

The Genoa case is believed to be the country’s second-largest attack on police in a single incident, after last month’s killing of a policeman.

Italy’s anti-terrorism agency, known as the Guardia di Finanza, confirmed its officers had been stabbed and wounded in the attack on the Turin post office.

On Sunday evening, Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi declared three days of mourning for the victims and vowed to hunt his attackers.

“Today in Genoa two people have died, a man in his 30s and a woman in her 40s; we are keeping them at home until the investigation ends,” he said.

“Today, we should also be remembering the women who have gone through a hell of terror because of their husbands and their children,” he added.

Renzi condemned the attack on citizens. He also said that he did not trust Italy’s security agency

Leave a Comment